Cooperative Thinking: SCORE Skills Strategy
Author(s): D. Sue Vernon, Jean B. Schumaker, and Donald D. Deshler
Publication Info: Edge Enterprises, 1993
SCORE Skills: Social Skills for Cooperative Groups describes a set of social skills that are fundamental to effective groups. Students learn to share ideas, compliment others, offer help or encouragement, recommend changes nicely, and exercise self-control. The skills can be used to establish and maintain good relationships with others in most everyday situations.
Results showed the mean percentage of cooperative skills used by students in cooperative groups in class before learning SCORE was 25 percent. The mean percentage increased to 78 percent after learning SCORE. Students in a comparison group that had no instruction in SCORE had average scores of 25 percent and 28 percent for the cooperative skills they used in cooperative groups.
- SCORE Skills presentation (ppt)
- SCORE Skills Checklist (pdf)
- SCORE Skills Coaching Cycle (pdf)
- SCORE Skills Example Goals (pdf)
- SCORE Skills study guide (pdf)
- A SCORE Skills classroom demo video
- 2014 SIM Conference: Emotional Safety: Social Skills Instruction (Video)
- Share Ideas Skill study guide (pdf)
- Compliment Others Skill study guide (pdf)
- Offer Help or Encouragement Skill study guide (pdf)
- Recommend Changes Nicely study guide (pdf)
- Exercise Self-Control Skill study guide (pdf)
- Preconference 2007: Community Building and Cooperative Thinking CD Programs
- Stratenotes Volume 5, Issue 5, February 1997
- Stratenotes V13, No. 7, April 2005: Score Skills, "Now I have a Friend"
- Strategram Vol. 6, No. 2: The SCORE Skills and the Teamwork Strategy
- Strategram Vol. 12, No. 4, March 2000: A supportive learning environment - creating the invitational classroom with SIM SCORE Skills, and Group Think: LEARN, BUILD, SCORE, THINK Strategies
- Strategram Vol. 13, No. 6, August 2001: A tactile strategy: THINK Strategy, Framing Routine, SCORE Skills in Braille
- Strategram Vol. 20, No. 4, SCORE Strategy e-Learning Program